my family

my family
can't we have a serious photo for once

Saturday, December 25, 2010


Christmas. There is so much to say about Christmas.  As I sit here sharing my thoughts with you , I am feeling nostalgic. Christmas Eve in Denmark is the day that we prepare for our Turkey (in Denmark it is traditionally duck)  and after dinner it”s time to open presents.  I must share with you that I am sitting here in my living room wearing my favorite present from last night. A snuggie.  Best of all it is the one with the leopard print.  (  A  snuggie is a blanket with sleeves attached) I must tell you it is so cozy everyone should own one.  One drawback is that it is so huge that you can’t walk around with it.  A house coat it is not. 
Looking back into my childhood I remember feeling lucky that I got to open my presents in the evening and all my school friends had to wait until the morning.  At school they would be telling each other how early they get up to open their presents.  In my mind I am seeing the little girl (that would be me ) waking up early, not to open presents but to stand on her bed to peek out the window to see the lights on at her friends houses across the street.  Not a light was on.  Early?  What is early for us in the Abildgaard’s (my maiden name) house sure isn’t early at the Budnarks or the Fowlers.  So I would lie back down and a few minutes later I would peek again. No lights.  Whats up with these Canadians? By the time I got tired of peeking (I say peeking because I didn’t want my friends to know I was “peeking”) dawn would be breaking and no lights were needed.  I did this for a number of years and I guess one morning I forget and I don’t recall doing it again.  Memories are a wonderful thing.   We had a great time together last night and I cherish each moment that my family is together and making their own memories.  Computers are an amazing thing.  I got to see my mom and siblings out west via Skype.  So cool.  All my Canadian friends I hope you are up and tearing wrapping paper. HO HO HO.  Nette

2 comments:

  1. I can just picture little Nette, peeking out the window!

    I've also wondered if it was possible to walk around in a snuggie. The things I've learned reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete