my family

my family
can't we have a serious photo for once

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Don't let anything spoil your Christmas

A not so nice way to wake up Christmas morning is with a phone call from your bank saying your card has been “compromised”.  Yep it happened to me.  My account was frozen and I couldn’t even check the balance.  Today I went to the bank machine and had to change my pin.  $480.00 gone.  Two transactions at an instabank for $241.75 each. “So yes Virginia there is a Grinch.” (as opposed to “Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Clause” from the movie, starring Richard Thomas (Johnboy) Ed Asner and Charles Bronson).  I will not let this spoil my Christmas as I have been assured that I will be reimbursed, but it may take a few weeks.  Here are some important tips to keep your money safe:
  • Use your hand or body to shield your PIN during every transaction conducted at an Automated Banking Machine (ABM) or at the checkout.
  • Keep an eye on your debit card when conducting a transaction at the checkout.
  • Check your banking statements regularly and contact your financial institution immediately if you detect any unusual activity, for example, purchases you did not make or missing charges.
  • Be alert. If someone is watching you or makes you feel uncomfortable, cancel the transaction and use a different machine.
·        In the instance that you become a victim of debit card fraud, you are protected and you will not suffer any financial losses due to circumstances beyond your control.

Today I will have 3 pint size visitors over and their mom and dad and we shall have wine and cheese (the grownups of course) The kids will have figgy pudding and sweets.  I am so happy to have these extra days off. Yah tomorrow off too.  Love it.  Nette

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that sucks so much, Jeanette! I'm glad you'll get the money back (eventually), but what a pain to go through.

    ReplyDelete