my family

my family
can't we have a serious photo for once

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snakes


Here’s a note to my friends that know my son has snakes, yes snakes, more than one. At first you would think them to be unusual pets.  In fact they can be wonderful pets that involve little care, they are hypoallergenic. They are clean and very quiet.  My son’s favorite is the Ball Pythons and the Boas.  They are actually very pretty and have nice coloring.  Some myths about snakes are:
1.      They are slimy.  No the boa has a skin texture that feels very much like silk. Very soft and very dry.  The python’s skin feels like leather and is also dry.
2.      They are poisonous.  Not true or they would be out of my basement faster than you can say “Jack Robinson.”
3.      They bite a lot.  Pythons are reluctant to bite, and will only bite if they are cornered. As for Boas may bite only if taken by surprise but that is the same for cats and dogs.  They hurt a bit. (trust me if one bites me I wouldn’t hold them again)
4.      These snakes are stupid.  Again not true.  They know their handlers and are very comfortable with them.  So far they are not afraid of me although one did pee on me and I freaked. Like really freaked. There was lots of pee.
5.      Other pets are not safe in the house.  Well this could be true if you don’t have good locks on the cages.  I know my cat sits beside their tanks because they are well lite and warm.  If one of them gets loose I would rather it eats the bird rather than my cat.  (Bird “Chico” is quite noisy.)
Now that you know that snakes are not something to fear but something to respect you can come to my house and not freak out.  David loves to show them off.
Stay tuned picture of me holding the big one. 

1 comment:

  1. I still prefer them in the tank (or eating chico) and not on me.

    ReplyDelete