my family

my family
can't we have a serious photo for once

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Placentophagy

·      OMG.  When I read Laura’s facebook status I had never heard of Placentophagy,  She says: Please admit me to the psych ward if I ever decide to eat my placenta.”  Some of her friends came up with some recipes” - Raspberry smoothies, - marinated and salt and pepper, - It would be great in a pasta sauce...like ground beef, need to take off the membranes though. - I think people like to cure them like sausages. These are just a few of the 14 responses she got.  Well I had to do some research on it. Here’s what I found.      
·    More and more women who suffer from postpartum depression are considering placenta eating as a natural remedy for the condition. The placenta can be consumed in a variety of ways, and has many health benefits.
·    Women who choose to eat their placenta often dehydrate and encapsulate it. The dried, crushed placenta is placed into pill-like capsules and consumed daily until it's gone. Consuming the placenta helps to regulate hormone levels after birth, evening out the emotional roller coaster that many women experience post partum.
·    If you're pregnant and interested in placenta eating to cure postpartum depression, consult your midwife. Many midwives or doulas will encapsulate the placenta for you for a small fee.
·    Placenta eating is traditionally practiced in many cultures, including Mexico, China, and the Pacific Islands. Many of these countries revere the placenta and see it as a crucial part of the birth process. However, in the US, the placenta is frequently discarded as medical waste.
·    More and more women, however, are learning about the benefits of placenta eating. These women often choose to birth at home, allowing them to maintain control over what happens to this important organ. The placenta is then frozen or dried until it can be consumed.
We all know that dogs eat the placenta and we say : “Gross”  well I think I will say that to this article. Hope you have all had your dinner before reading this.  The things we learn from facebook

1 comment: